News / Speakers for Schools Insight Day
Speakers for Schools Insight Day
As part of national STEM Day we hosted a virtual career insight session about Architecture with Speakers for Schools for a group for 14-18 year olds.
Access to the profession can seem out of reach to many young people without connections. This fantastic charity facilitates links to attaining experience and knowledge, levelling the field and creating opportunities for the next generation.
Our session ran from 10 :00 to 14:00 and outlined:
– Who 3DReid are as a practice.
– What being an architect involves.
– Routes into architecture.
– A design task of reimagining a department store in 4 groups.
– Tips to get ahead in your journey to becoming an architect.
The initiative was led by Izzy Watson our head of Culture with support from the team who shared their education and career journeys:
– Kiran Shah on becoming an Architect,
– Katarzyna Cichowska on becoming an Architectural Technician
– James Sheldrake on Architectural Apprenticeships
– Eleanor Winder on her journey to becoming an Interior Designer
These were their journeys and advice for the students:
The 25 students were enthusiastic and engaged. They undertook a quick design task ‘reimagining a department store’ in groups and showed imagination, innovation and a wish to create buildings that are accessible, sustainable and fun! take a look at some of their ideas.