News / Bath reigns again
Bath reigns again
This year’s winner of the £1,000 3DReid Student Prize is Bath School of Architecture graduate Michael Lewis for his reinvention of Porto’s industrial heritage and the creation of a School of Construction on the site of a dilapidated tile factory. Competing against 7 other entries, including a team of 8 from the Bartlett’s Unit 17, Lewis won for the ’maturity of thinking and attention to detail of his beautifully illustrated and modelled scheme’ according to head judge Mark Taylor, Chief Executive of 3DReid.
In total 29 schools nominated students in this year’s event.
Andreas Papallas from University of Cambridge won the online Public Vote with over 580 ‘Likes’ on 3DReid’s Facebook page with an airport facility within the UN Buffer Zone in Cyprus, the site of the winning entry in 2013, by a team also from Bath University.
Taylor was joined by a host of judges including 3DReid staff and clients Barry Weekes, Head of Technical Design for Heathrow, who also sponsored this year’s prize; David Porter, President of the Architectural Association and Chris Fletcher, Head of Development Delivery for Grainger.
Barry Weekes added: “This is the first year I have been involved with this fantastic event. The quality of work and thinking that is emerging from our schools of architecture is simply excellent and gives me great confidence for the future of British design. We see this as the perfect opportunity to support students of design and help give them that first step towards a successful career. Well done to Michael and to all the finalists for their efforts.”
Chris Fletcher from Grainger said
“I thought it was genuinely fantastic, I was blown away by the submissions and the quality generally. I thought the whole day was a really special experience and very rare you get that chance to comment on such a high quality set of projects. It is clear the group of people I met today are going to go a long way. I suspect we will see a lot of these people again and I hope so because there is a huge amount of talent and I think the prize should be commended for encouraging that to come into the fore.”
The other shortlisted students were:
- Matthew Kernan of Queen’s University, Belfast
- Bruce Doran of Mackintosh School of Architecture ,Glasgow
- Kristian James of Manchester School of Architecture
- Jack Scaffardi of The University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- Charlotte Eley of The University of Sheffield
- Henry Svendsen, Marta Dabrowska, Vasilis Marcou Ilchuk, Ashley Hinchcliffe, Carl Inder, Oscar Plastow, Yun Wan and Yiu Yeung Kwan – Unit 17, The Bartlett
Our judges were (left to right):
- David Porter, President of the Architectural Association;
- Mark Taylor; David Stanford; Tom Robinson and Richard Fairhead (not pictured) of 3DReid
- Chris Fletcher, Head of Development Delivery, Grainger
- Barry Weekes, Head of Design, Heathrow